The Ashgrove Dance Studio originates from the oldest ballet school in Queensland.
The original school commenced in 1899 under the direction of Nellie Lawrence and was continued by Katie Cannan from 1913 to 1922.
At that time it came under the direction of Thelma Robertson who with Brenda McCullough taught until 1935, when Thelma Robertson continued the school alone for a further three years.
1938 saw Joy and Faye Bassett take the reins and in 1945 their sister, Nell, joined them. The Bassetts conducted studios in the inner city, Camp Hill, Mitchelton, Southport and Ashgrove.
In January 1973 they passed their Ashgrove School to Wendy and Judith Lowe who had gained their early training with the Bassetts, Frankie Thompson and Phyllis Danaher completing all their examinations in the RAD syllabus and becoming fully Registered Teachers of the RAD.
Over the years the school has had many guest teachers including Phyllis Danaher, one of the early RAD examiners, Evan Jones a former Lecturer in Ballet at QUT and Robyn Ross who held positions as Rehearsal Director for Ballet Ireland, Introdans – The Netherlands and le Grand Theatre de Geneve (Switzerland).
In December 2012 Wendy and Judith were delighted that Prue Galley, the grand-daughter of Nellie Lawrence donated to the Studio an engraved Silver Teapot presented to Nellie Lawrence by her students in 1911 in recognition of the heritage of the Studio in continuing her grandmother's original school.
Wendy and Judith continue to lead the studio today instilling a love of dance in all students.
© Copyright 2024 - Ashgrove Dance Studio